American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Deep awareness of the suffering of another coupled with the wish to relieve it. See Synonyms at pity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Literally, a suffering with another; hence, a feeling of sorrow or pity excited by the sufferings or misfortunes of another; sympathy; commiseration; pity.
- n. [Twice used in the plural in the authorized version of the Bible.
- n. Synonyms Commiseration, Sympathy, etc. (see pity), kindness, tenderness, clemency, fellow-feeling.
- To compassionate; pity; commiserate.
- n. Deep awareness of the suffering of another, coupled with the wish to relieve it
- v. obsolete To pity.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Literally, suffering with another; a sensation of sorrow excited by the distress or misfortunes of another; pity; commiseration.
- v. obsolete To pity.
- n. the humane quality of understanding the suffering of others and wanting to do something about it
- n. a deep awareness of and sympathy for another's suffering
- From Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin compassio ("sympathy"), from compati, past participle compassus ("to suffer together with"), from Latin com- ("together") + pati ("to suffer"); see passion. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English compassioun, from Late Latin compassiō, compassiōn-, from compassus, past participle of compatī, to sympathize : Latin com-, com- + Latin patī, to suffer; see pē(i)- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Dems call it compassion, cons call it "thinning the herd".”
“They do not care about the average American and any speech one of them gives touting their compassion is a crock.”
“Today, you're lucky to get what they call a compassion fare.”
“Today you are lucky to get what they call a compassion fare.”
“And plus, you know, a lot of psychiatrists in the military develop what I call compassion fatigue.”
“Waldo your compassion is amazing, and the post is very good reading.”
“Compassionate conservatism – only if the compassion is a raise to yourself I guess.”
“In point of fact, the union is supporting Barack Obama because of what it calls his compassion for working people.”
“His expostulations were answered with severe rebuke; she lamented again, that her prudence had ever yielded to what she termed compassion, and added, that she was so sensible of the folly of her former consent, that, to prevent the possibility of a repetition, she had committed the affair entirely to the conduct of”
“Tron spat out the name as he had spat out the word compassion.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘compassion’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
Words to keep in mind for July. The 1st is my birthday. I'll be 30 and pretty much starting my life over from scratch. Hopefully these words will help me on my way.
That which exist only in our minds
A few of my favorite words.
Codenames for top-secret places and things.
area 51, groom lake, homey airport, dreamland, paradise ranch, the box, manhattan project, operation anthropoid, operation barbarossa, operation northwoods, operation overlord, operation sealion and 26 more...
TABLE OF PROPOSED RULES TO LIVE BY
The Golden Rule Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
The Silver Rule Do not do unto others what you would not have them do un...
Mind or Mind Altering
( _mark, personal list, randomness )
Looking for tweets for compassion.