American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Identification with and understanding of another's situation, feelings, and motives. See Synonyms at pity.
- n. The attribution of one's own feelings to an object.
- n. the intellectual identification of the thoughts, feelings, or state of another person
- n. capacity to understand another person's point of view or the result of such understanding
- n. parapsychology, science fiction a paranormal ability to psychically read another person's emotions
- n. understanding and entering into another's feelings
- A twentieth-century borrowing of Ancient Greek ἐμπάθεια (empatheia, literally "passion") (formed from ἐν (en-, "in, at") + πάθος (pathos, "feeling")), coined by Edward Bradford Titchener to translate German Einfühlung. The modern Greek word εμπάθεια has an opposite meaning denoting strong negative feelings and prejudice against someone. (Wiktionary)
- en-2 + -pathy (translation of German Einfühlung). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The term empathy first appeared in the work of a German psychologist, Theodore Lipps, toward the end of the nineteenth century.”
“For many conservatives, empathy is code for caring too much about, and being too soft on, woman and minorities.”
“It is legitimate to be afraid that empathy is code for results-oriented jurisprudence, but empathy does not have to be such a codeword.”
“GILLESPIE: Well, it was also consistent with President Obama's use of the phrase -- use of the term empathy, and it implied -- it played into a notion that this is going to be a judge who's going to have personal feelings play a role in judgment.”
“You know, I think this is a good conversation for us to be having, and for us to think about what President Obama meant when he used the term empathy, what it means for a judge to have empathy.”
“I do not think it correct to use the term 'empathy' as the ability to gauge someone's feelings from a picture," said Dr. Kent Holtorf, founder of Holtorf Medical Group, which has offices in Foster City, Calif., Torrance, Calif. and St. Joseph, Mo.”
“His confession reveals that while in the past the Living Constitution's acolytes sought to achieve the amorphous goals of "social justice, brotherhood, and human dignity," a President Obama will feed the beast with what's left of individual rights and limited government, all in the name of "empathy" - a code word for something much darker: sacrifice of true constitutionalism to the needs of society's perceived victims”
“His confession reveals that while in the past the Living Constitution's acolytes sought to achieve the amorphous goals of "social justice, brotherhood, and human dignity," a President Obama will feed the beast with what's left of individual rights and limited government, all in the name of "empathy" -- a code word for something much darker: sacrifice of true constitutionalism to the needs of society's perceived victims”
“I believe his new founded interest in them was what they call empathy?”
“Most people don't associate the word "empathy" with effective leadership.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘empathy’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A collection of words found in English that are either purely Greek or have Greek etymology.
Please add with caution and certainty. Will be regularly updated by me.
Some of the catchwords of several presidential debates (Obama-Romney 2012 Denver debate's transcript fully included)
Collected from reading
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words to keep in mind for July. The 1st is my birthday. I'll be 30 and pretty much starting my life over from scratch. Hopefully these words will help me on my way.
To see,feel, touch people as objects with emotion instead as empty shells. These objects may be hollow or shallow or solid. But it has shape which can be shaped further and polished well. With that...
We are inundated with words and phrases all day long, NOW let us inundate our MINDs with words and phrases that Inspire, Enhance and create the environment of greater understanding of ourselves and...
A few of my favorite words.
and my mantras
denoting feelings; denoting disorder; relating to curative treatment
List of most of the words I've learned
Looking for tweets for empathy.