from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Relationship, especially one of mutual trust or emotional affinity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A relationship of mutual trust and respect.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Relation; proportion; conformity; correspondence; accord.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To have relation or reference; relate; refer.
- n. Harmonious relation; correspondence; accord or agreement; affinity; analogy: used as a French word, often in the phrase en rapport, in or into close relation, accord, or harmony.
- n. In French law. a report on a case, or on a subject submitted; a return.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a relationship of mutual understanding or trust and agreement between people
French, from Old French, from raporter, to bring back : re-, re- + aporter, to bring (from Latin apportāre : ad-, ad- + portāre, to carry; see per-2 in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From the French rapporter (“to bring back”) (Wiktionary)