American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The absence of war or other hostilities.
- n. An agreement or a treaty to end hostilities.
- n. Freedom from quarrels and disagreement; harmonious relations: roommates living in peace with each other.
- n. Public security and order: was arrested for disturbing the peace.
- n. Inner contentment; serenity: peace of mind.
- interj. Used as a greeting or farewell, and as a request for silence.
- idiom. at peace In a state of tranquillity; serene: She is at peace with herself and her friends.
- idiom. at peace Free from strife: Everyone wants to live in a world at peace.
- idiom. keep To be silent.
- idiom. keep the peace To maintain or observe law and order: officers who were sworn to keep the peace.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A state of quiet or tranquillity; freedom from disturbance or agitation; calm; quietness; repose. Specifically— Freedom from war or hostile attacks; exemption from or cessation of hostilities; absence of civil, private, or foreign strife, embroilment, or quarrel.
- n. Freedom from agitation or disturbance by the passions, as from fear, terror, anger, or anxiety; quietness of mind; tranquillity; calmness; quiet of conscience.
- n. A state of reconciliation between parties at variance; harmony; concord.
- n. Public tranquillity; that quiet order and security which are guaranteed by the laws: as, to keep the peace; to break the peace; a justice of the peace.
- n. A compact or agreement made by contending parties to abstain from further hostilities; a treaty of peace: as, the peace of Ryswick.
- n. Amity.
- n. Quiet, Tranquillity, etc. See rest.
- To hold one's peace; be or become silent; hold one's tongue.
- To appease; quiet; allay.
- n. A state of tranquility, quiet, and harmony. For instance, a state free from civil disturbance.
- n. A state free of oppressive and unpleasant thoughts and emotions.
- n. Harmony in personal relations.
- n. A state free of war, in particular war between different countries.
- interj. slang Shortened form of peace out; goodbye.
- interj. archaic Shut up!, silence!; be quiet, be silent.
- v. neologism To make peace; to put at peace; to be at peace.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Exemption from, or cessation of, war with public enemies.
- n. Public quiet, order, and contentment in obedience to law.
- n. Exemption from, or subjection of, agitating passions; tranquillity of mind or conscience.
- n. Reconciliation; agreement after variance; harmony; concord.
- v. rare To make or become quiet; to be silent; to stop.
- n. the state prevailing during the absence of war
- n. a treaty to cease hostilities
- n. the absence of mental stress or anxiety
- n. harmonious relations; freedom from disputes
- n. the general security of public places
- From Middle English pece, peas, pees, from Old French pais ("peace"), from Latin pāx ("peace"), from Proto-Indo-European *paḱ- (“to fasten, stick, place”), related to Latin pacīscor ("agree, stipulate"), Latin pangō ("fasten, fix"); see pact. Displaced native Middle English frith, frede ("peace") (from Old English friþ, frēod ("peace")), Middle English sib, sibbe ("peace") (from Old English sibb ("peace, kinship")), Middle English grith ("peace, security") (from Old English griþ and Old Norse grið), Middle English saht, saught ("peace, reconciliation") (from Old English seht, sæht ("peace, pact, agreement")). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English pes, from Old French pais, pes, from Latin pāx, pāc-; see pax. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Bush tells another bald-faced whopper, claims he has laid the 'foundation of peace'! yahooBuzzArticleHeadline = 'Bush tells another bald-faced whopper, claims he has laid the \'foundation of peace\'! ”
“Black Elk said these words: "Above all, you should understand that there can never be peace between nations until there is known that true peace is within the souls of men.”
“The announcement of several Stalin peace prizes was seen as a move in the Soviet peace offensive, which had become the main Communist propaganda weapon in the cold war.”
“In a little town a few miles off, it has been reported that Miss Lydia Prateapace has been obliged to "swear the peace against him," which "swearing the _peace_" is, in most cases,”
“The next thing we observe respecting this divine peace which has come down to man on earth is, that it is a _living peace_.”
“War is generally terminated, and peace secured, by _treaties of peace_.”
“There is going to be peace, but not permanent peacenot a democratic peace .”
“And peace is produced by justice -- the moral virtue which is concerned with our works: _The work of justice shall be peace_  inasmuch, that is, as a man, by refraining from injuring others, removes occasions of strife and disturbance.”
“And it is a maxim not to be despised, Tho peace be made, yet it is interest that keeps peace; and I hope you will not trust such peace except so far as you see interest upon it.”
“Mexico, and he to make peace with us: of course an _agreeable peace_”
Slavery and Four Years of War, Vol. 1-2 A Political History of Slavery in the United States Together With a Narrative of the Campaigns and Battles of the Civil War In Which the Author Took Part: 1861-1865
These user-created lists contain the word ‘peace’.
As originally suggested on sweet tooth fairy domino:
Each person adds one word trying to create a single, potentially infinite sweet tooth fairy (please look it up if you are not familiar wit...
A combined list of
1. EU Buzz - single words
2. EU Buzz - collocations
3. EU Buzz - the 100 most active
absorption capacity, absorption rate, acceding country, accession candidate, accession countries, accession country, accession criteria, accession cycle, accession negotia..., accession partner..., accession priorities, accession treaty and 2650 more...
absolute majority, absolute monarchy, abstentionism, access to informa..., acquisition of arms, action brought be..., action for annulment, action to establi..., ad hoc committee, adjournment, adjournment motion, administration and 965 more...
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Words in the Bible evoking biblical stories or with special spiritual meaning. Proper names have been reduced to the minimum.
Positive words and vague promises. THE words and expressions to use when you want to win over the masses or just don't know what to say.
"CAPITAL" stands for the administrative capital...
All words of the Lisbon Treaty
(Persons' names, foreign and grammatical words have been eliminated, MWEs have been split up into individual words. Capitalization has been retained if r...
Christian word branding; common English word-associatives connected to Bible terminology or scripture.
I also have a general Bible-word list.
Favorite designs for shower curtains. Inspired by the list Top 500 SAT Words Shower Curtain by jwjarvis.
ABM Agreement, accession to a co..., accession to a tr..., accession to an a..., achievement of peace, ACP-EC Convention, advanced technolo..., aerospace industry, African organisation, aggression, agreement, agricultural coop... and 851 more...
Tired of singing the same carols year after year? Wanna mix it up a little? Now you can, with the Do-it-yourself Christmas Carol List (from the creator of the Doo-it-yourself Doowop List). Just mix...
words and phrases that make me wanna weep...kinda.
serious and funny ones
one word (preferably / not a must). terms that solved, help solve or theoretically will solve the world's problems (past, present, future).
these can be general, umbrella terms or...
Looking for tweets for peace.