from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The state or condition of being equivalent; equality.
- n. Mathematics An equivalence relation.
- n. Logic The relationship that holds for two propositions that are either both true or both false, so that the affirmation of one and the denial of the other results in contradiction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The condition of being equivalent or essentially equal.
- n. An equivalence relation; ≡; ~
- n. The relationship between two propositions that are either both true or both false.
- v. To be equivalent or equal to; to counterbalance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The condition of being equivalent or equal; equality of worth, value, signification, or force.
- n. Equal power or force; equivalent amount.
- n. The quantity of the combining power of an atom, expressed in hydrogen units; the number of hydrogen atoms can combine with, or be exchanged for; valency. See Valence.
- n. The degree of combining power as determined by relative weight. See Equivalent, n., 2.
- transitive v. To be equivalent or equal to; to counterbalance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The condition of being equivalent; equality in value; correspondence in signification, force, nature, or the like: as, a universal equivalence of weights and measures is extremely desirable; exact equivalence between different words is rare. Also equivalency.
- To be equivalent to; counterpoise.
- n. In chem., capability of mutual replacement, in chemical combination, of definite quantities of different substances: thus, there is equivalence between approximately 18.07 parts of aluminium, 40.1 of calcium, 46.1 of sodium, and 55.9 of (ferrous) iron in combining with the same fixed quantity of oxygen.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state of being essentially equal or equivalent; equally balanced
- n. essential equality and interchangeability
- n. qualities that are comparable
Sorry, no etymologies found.