American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being true, factual, or real.
- n. Something, such as a statement, principle, or belief, that is true, especially an enduring truth: "The mind once suddenly aware of a verity for the first time immediately invents it again” ( Agnes Sligh Turnbull). See Synonyms at truth.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. that the cause of suffering is desire or a craving for existence and its pleasures
- n. that deliverance from suffering can be effected only by the eradication of desire
- n. and that this can be accomplished only by walking in the noble eightfold path of right views in regard to life
- n. of right aims
- n. of right words
- n. of right conduct
- n. of right means of livelihood (celibate mendicancy)
- n. of right effort
- n. of right-mindfulness (that is, freedom from error in recollecting the law)
- n. and of right meditation and tranquillity. See nidana.
- n. The quality of being true or real; true or real nature or principle; reality; truth; fact.
- n. That which is true; a true assertion or tenet; a truth; a reality; a fact.
- n. Honesty; faith; trustworthiness.
- n. archaic Truth, fact or reality, especially an enduring religious or ethical truth.
- n. A true statement; an established doctrine.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being true, or real; consonance of a statement, proposition, or other thing, with fact; truth; reality.
- n. That which is true; a true assertion or tenet; a truth; a reality.
- n. conformity to reality or actuality
- n. an enduring or necessary ethical or religious or aesthetic truth
- From Anglo-Norman verité, Middle French verité, from Latin vēritās, from the adjective vērus ("true"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English verite, truth, from Old French, from Latin vēritās, from vērus, true. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“The eternal Huey Long verity is just that: Take on the big boys.”
“His verity is as evident as the idol's vanity, v. 10.”
“The National Enquirer, that bastion of truth and verity, is reporting today that Miley Cyrus and her live-in boyfriend Liam Hemsworth have broken up in the wake of a “fiery” argument that was sparked by Miley‘s intense jealousy which caused Liam to move out of their lovenest.”
“it is re-assuring to know that I can call a verity a vituperative vitriolic vixen with impunity as she will not read any anonymous posts !”
“As an antidote to the mean-spirited bile of 'english democrat', 'verity' and others, here's what today's Telegraph has to say about Alan Johnson: "Ask any broadcast journalist in the Middle East and they will tell you the 44-year-old reporter is one of the most reliable, honest and impartial operators around.”
“The BSL sign for 'verity' is Winston Churchill's 'V' for victory sign.”
“Surprised at you "verity" replying to the silly postings I have been making,thought you had a bit more about you than the other folks who hang out here.”
“This poster "verity" has a solution to all things, and she uses very big words so we will all be impressed by her inane utterances.”
“Was just watching 18DS and was amused to see a comment by a certain "verity" read out regarding who should rule Africa.”
“I didn't realise that one needed to have some sort of sixth sense to ascertain that "verity" wasn't THE "verity" whoever you are, and I don't care.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘verity’.
broker a peace ac..., client state, deadlocked peace ..., embassy, freeze, goodwill ambassador, hinterland, interfere in dome..., intervene personally, maintain technica..., mediation, no business as usual and 670 more...
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words that have been used as baby names, including virtue names, nature names, place names, etc.
The title is an actual name given to a Puritan boy in the 17th century.
Just a list of those words in the Century (and other dictionaries) here on Wordnik where a quotation has somehow found its way in as a definition. See comments on suist.
From Barron Wordlist the New Words
Words as I learn them.
My words, generally
Looking for tweets for verity.