American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Future generations: "Everything he writes is consigned to posterity” ( Joyce Carol Oates).
- n. All of a person's descendants.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Descendants collectively; the race that proceeds from a progenitor.
- n. Succeeding generations collectively.
- n. Posteriority.
- n. Synonyms Issue, Progeny, etc. See offspring.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The race that proceeds from a progenitor; offspring to the furthest generation; the aggregate number of persons who are descended from an ancestor of a generation; descendants; -- contrasted with
- n. Succeeding generations; future times.
- n. all of the offspring of a given progenitor
- n. all future generations
- Late 14th century, from Middle French posterité, from Latin posteritas, from posterus ("following, coming after"), from post ("after") (English post-). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English posterite, from Old French, from Latin posteritās, from posterus, coming after; see posterior. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“After all, what we term posterity is but a drop of water in the ocean of Time.”
“Further, to think of organizing these papers for the sake of posterity is to think of posterity, which is the same as thinking of dying, which is different from vanity but equally unpleasant.”
“And the news business, which once took pride in what it put down for posterity, is all atwitter with tweets and insta-posts by self-appointed experts on a bazillion blogs.”
“Her message translated as "that you should have a delightful day with your children and dearest friends, that it should be a day worthy of remembering in posterity, full of happiness, tenderness, and special memories.”
“Creating photographic records for posterity is not new for Highsmith.”
“But how does the Cottesloe family feel about the loss of its foothold in posterity?”
“Any writer writing for posterity is kidding him or herself.”
““Thy Lord drew forth their posterity from the loins of the sons of Adam;” and the commentators say that Allah stroked”
“Alldas. de, a site that mirrors defaced websites for posterity, is shutting down.”
“God shall enlarge Japheth -- pointing to a vast increase in posterity and possessions.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘posterity’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Protagonists and relevant words in the Book of Creation (Source: King James Bible)
Key words from "The Training of a Public Speaker" by Grenville Kleiser (New York and London, 1920)
after in time; following; later
A list of words from our Thoreau readings.
Words that I come across, and go blank, or want to clarify.
mostly from magoosh
Looking for tweets for posterity.