from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being sincere; genuineness, honesty, and freedom from duplicity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The quality or state of being sincere; honesty of mind or intention; freedom from simulation, hypocrisy, disguise, or false pretense.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The quality or state of being sincere; honesty of mind or intention; freedom from simulation, hypocrisy, disguise, or false pretense; sincereness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being sincere.
- n. Freedom from duplicity, deceit, or falsehood; honesty; truthfulness.
- n. Integrity; uprightness; faithfulness.
- n. Synonyms See sincere.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a quality of naturalness and simplicity
- n. the trait of being serious
- n. the quality of being open and truthful; not deceitful or hypocritical
- n. an earnest and sincere feeling
But it is precisely because it is so rare and unexpected that his story catches our attention, almost provokes our amusement - in a fashion reminiscent of the cartoon of a young woman carrying a 'Make love not war' banner, stark naked, and with a bystander exclaiming, 'Now that's what I call sincerity!'
"That's what we call sincerity, daughter," said Mrs. Bobbsey.
To be fool enough to believe a ramping, stamping, thumping lie: that is what you call sincerity!
Yet there is very little of that indefinable quality, which we call sincerity, about the score.
Great Nature's own gift; which she bestows on all; but which only one in the thousand does not cast sorrowfully away: it is what I call sincerity of vision; the test of a sincere heart.
He pretends not to a meritorious excellence, but the testimony of his conscience concerning his sincerity is his comfort -- As also that before thee, O king!
In teaparty, right-wing, and certain fundamentalist cultures, passionate sincerity is the chief virtue.
Her sincerity is as phony as the so-called sport they promote.
Their sincerity is no less fake than their claim that they are strong on national defense.
Ms. Pelosi described her experiences with obvious sincerity from the House floor last week.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.