American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being sincere; genuineness, honesty, and freedom from duplicity.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or character of being sincere. Freedom from admixture, adulteration, or alloy; pnrity.
- n. Freedom from duplicity, deceit, or falsehood; honesty; truthfulness.
- n. Integrity; uprightness; faithfulness.
- n. Synonyms See sincere.
- n. The quality or state of being sincere; honesty of mind or intention; freedom from simulation, hypocrisy, disguise, or false pretense.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being sincere; honesty of mind or intention; freedom from simulation, hypocrisy, disguise, or false pretense; sincereness.
- n. a quality of naturalness and simplicity
- n. the trait of being serious
- n. the quality of being open and truthful; not deceitful or hypocritical
- n. an earnest and sincere feeling
- From Middle French sincérité. (Wiktionary)
“But it is precisely because it is so rare and unexpected that his story catches our attention, almost provokes our amusement - in a fashion reminiscent of the cartoon of a young woman carrying a 'Make love not war' banner, stark naked, and with a bystander exclaiming, 'Now that's what I call sincerity!”
The God Delusion
“That's what we call sincerity, daughter," said Mrs. Bobbsey.”
“To be fool enough to believe a ramping, stamping, thumping lie: that is what you call sincerity!”
“Yet there is very little of that indefinable quality, which we call sincerity, about the score.”
“Great Nature's own gift; which she bestows on all; but which only one in the thousand does not cast sorrowfully away: it is what I call sincerity of vision; the test of a sincere heart.”
“He pretends not to a meritorious excellence, but the testimony of his conscience concerning his sincerity is his comfort -- As also that before thee, O king!”
“In teaparty, right-wing, and certain fundamentalist cultures, passionate sincerity is the chief virtue.”
“Her sincerity is as phony as the so-called sport they promote.”
“Their sincerity is no less fake than their claim that they are strong on national defense.”
“Ms. Pelosi described her experiences with obvious sincerity from the House floor last week.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘sincerity’.
an immense, grandiloquent list that loads like a thousand years sentence in stone. new words are in the other lists.
It's exactly what it sounds like. And yeah, for real people as much as characters. Big surprise.
In response to Wilfred J. Funk's "ten most beautiful words in the English language" list of 1932.
In coaching or psychology work, it is often postulated that people have a personal list of abstract, subjectively defined, emotional concepts that drive them (often called 'values') to answer the b...
A honeypot of miscellany. Take a handful!
good, virtuous traits that are common in human behaviour.
goto traits (neutral)
goto traits (bad)
( randomness, descriptive, psychology, virtue, mindset, perspective...
Words that perfectly describe a concept that I find shivery and beautiful.
Poetrie #4. Another auto-Poetrie. Do you mind me sharing? I hope you enjoy.
A Polite Encounter
As I was swimming down the Nile
I chanced to meet a cro...
Looking for tweets for sincerity.