from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The quality or fact of being legitimate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. the quality of being legitimate or valid; validity
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state, or quality, of being legitimate, or in conformity with law; hence, the condition of having been lawfully begotten, or born in wedlock.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state of being legitimate; conformity to law, rule, or principle; natural or logical result; regularity; propriety; correctness: as, the legitimacy of a government, of an argument, or of a conclusion.
- n. Specifically Lawfulness of birth: opposed to bastardy.
- n. Directness or regularity of descent, as affecting the right of succession. See legitimist, 2.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. undisputed credibility
- n. lawfulness by virtue of being authorized or in accordance with law
Sorry, no etymologies found.