from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. freedom from error
- n. conformity to the truth or to fact
- n. conformity to recognized standards
- n. The state of an algorithm that correctly mirrors its specification.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state or quality of being correct.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being correct, or in conformity with truth, morality, propriety, or custom; conformity to any set of rules or with a model; accuracy, exactness, or precision: as, correctness of life or of conduct; correctness in speech or in writing; correctness of taste or of design; the correctness of a copy.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. conformity to fact or truth
- n. the quality of conformity to social expectations
Changing Cap to a black guy for political correctness is just stupid.
Political correctness is literally killing people in our country, in this case, killing our military.
Later in the chapter Nelson allows that while political correctness is not the “all defining campus cultural force the right makes it out to be, it does operate, in some contexts absurdly.”
Whether it's people walking off The View when Bill O'Reilly makes a statement about radical Islam or Juan Williams being fired for expressing his opinion, over-reaching political correctness is chipping away at the fundamental American freedoms of speech and expression.
Political correctness is a real drag sometimes. paintbox
At bedrock, political correctness is about striving to express respect and kindness according to cultural values which may vary from the ones you were raised with.
For example, if ultracalvinists are Christians, "political correctness" is religious orthodoxy.
Political correctness is an abomination to all free societies and will prove to be the undoing of the life style that we have enjoyed for so long.
No amount of political correctness is going to make the answer more yes or more no.
The rest you say about ACPO, the Government and political correctness is perhaps true.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.