American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Refinement, grace, and beauty in movement, appearance, or manners.
- n. Tasteful opulence in form, decoration, or presentation.
- n. Restraint and grace of style.
- n. Scientific exactness and precision.
- n. Something elegant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The state or quality of being elegant; beauty resulting from perfect propriety or from exact fitness, symmetry, or the like; refinement of manner, quality, or appearance: as, elegance of dress.
- n. That which pleases by its nicety, symmetry, purity, or beauty; an elegancy: as, the elegances of polite society. Synonyms Grace, beauty, polish. See comparison under elegant.
- n. Grace, refinement, and beauty in movement, appearance, or manners
- n. Restraint and grace of style
- n. The beauty of an idea characterized by minimalism and intuitiveness while preserving exactness and precision
- n. countable A refinement or luxury
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being elegant; beauty as resulting from choice qualities and the complete absence of what deforms or impresses unpleasantly; grace given by art or practice; fine polish; refinement; -- said of manners, language, style, form, architecture, etc.
- n. That which is elegant; that which is tasteful and highly attractive.
- n. a quality of neatness and ingenious simplicity in the solution of a problem (especially in science or mathematics)
- n. a refined quality of gracefulness and good taste
“Ellison referred to as "elegance" is not foreign to black experience.”
“But when she stepped onto the floor each week, she was a vision in elegance, grace, and beauty.”
“The company's Web site says its Platinum Luxury Restroom Trailers "offer the ultimate in elegance with interiors that provide all the comforts of home.”
“We received over 100 entries and they were inspired and oftentimes breathtaking in elegance and lunacy.”
“The company's Web site says its Platinum Luxury Restroom Trailers offer the ultimate in elegance with interiors that provide all the comforts of home.”
“The age of elegance is gone, there was a time when a woman wouldn't dare leave the house without makeup and the right gloves.”
“Thank you, Rajeev Motwani. « ifindkarma. elegance is refusal.”
“Subterranean Press and Pyr Book are coming out with many editions where elegance is the key word.”
“The delight in our serene elegance is transending us into a natural calm as if in another world entirely as we leave the ground ever so smoothly floating through the skies.”
“Where understated elegance is the result of intentional simplicity.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘elegance’.
Words that relate to learning, knowing, being enlightened...
You know that feeling when you hear a word that you just want to roll it around in your mouth, experiment with it, find its edges and texture. Words that you want to clink around in a glass with so...
The Velvetine Ruffians
Words pertaining to horses, equines, equestrians
Words that I like, that I don't use often enough, that are new to me, that friends and family have taught me, and so on.
This is a collection of words I love, old ones that I love the sound of when I repeat them for years and new ones coined in news articles on up and coming trends and technologies - most of them I k...
Looking for tweets for elegance.