from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fine point of etiquette.
- n. Precise observance of formalities.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fine point in exactness of conduct, ceremony or procedure. Strictness in observance of formalities.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A nice point of exactness in conduct, ceremony, or proceeding; particularity or exactness in forms.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small point.
- n. A nice point, especially in conduct, ceremony, or proceeding; also, particularity or exactness in the observance of forms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a fine point of etiquette or petty formality
- n. strict observance of formalities
Obsolete Italian punctiglio, from Spanish puntillo, diminutive of punto, point, from Latin pūnctum, from neuter past participle of pungere, to prick; see peuk- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Italian puntiglio, or Spanish puntillo, diminutive from Latin punctum point. (Wiktionary)