American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The quality or condition of being grand; magnificence: "The world is charged with the grandeur of God” ( Gerard Manley Hopkins).
- n. Nobility or greatness of character.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character of being grand or great; specifically, that quality or combination of qualities in an object whieh affects the imagination with a sense of sublimity or magnificence.
- n. Synonyms Greatness, majesty, loftiness, stateliness, state, dignity, augustness, splendor, pomp, sublimity. See grand.
- n. The state of being grand or splendid; magnificence.
- n. Nobility.
- n. archaic, rare Greatness; largeness; tallness; loftiness.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The state or quality of being grand; vastness; greatness; splendor; magnificence; stateliness; sublimity; dignity; elevation of thought or expression; nobility of action.
- n. the quality of elevation of mind and exaltation of character or ideals or conduct
- n. the quality of being magnificent or splendid or grand
- From Old French grandeur, from grand, from Latin grandis ("grown up, great"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English, from Old French, from grand, great, from Latin grandis. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“What the wine lacked in grandeur was more than made up for in the label's hand drawn charm.”
“The only hint of grandeur comes from the seal just below the two microphones, the crest of the President of the United States.”
“Lol its been over for awhile just hilary's delusions of grandeur is all thats stopping it.”
“It might be tragedy save tragedy requires a certain grandeur in the dramatis personae.”
“But the story Simmons tells is awe inspiring in grandeur and he packs it with more than enough SF-nal ideas to wow even the most jaded SF reader.”
“Why would he adopt it when he's aspiring to a certain grandeur of expression?”
“Most of these properties are rough after 30 years of neglect, but with some clean up and reconstruction inside, their grandeur is restored. powered by performancing firefox”
“I spent my teens in that decade; twenty some years later and all that 80's glam grandeur is flashing -- and flailing -- before my very eyes!”
“The concept that matter and energy are interconvertible strikes directly to the core of the universe, probably exceeds in grandeur any other picture the field of physical science.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘grandeur’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Please contribute your favorite words from any of Gene Wolfe’s books to this prize-winning list.
In case you come across words in this list which are too commonplace to fit in, please ...
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words from 2008 'RocknRolla' film.
words pertaining to the root spe- (hope) with some allegorical liberties.
Looking for tweets for grandeur.