American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Great depth.
- n. Depth of intellect, feeling, or meaning.
- n. Something profound or abstruse.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The character or condition of being profound; depth, as of place, of knowledge, of science, of feeling, etc.
- n. That which is profound; depth; abyss.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The quality or state of being profound; depth of place, knowledge, feeling, etc.
- n. the quality of being physically deep
- n. the intellectual ability to penetrate deeply into ideas
- n. wisdom that is recondite and abstruse and profound
- n. intellectual depth; penetrating knowledge; keen insight; etc.
- From Latin profunditās. Compare profoundness. (Wiktionary)
- Middle English profundite, from Old French, from Late Latin profunditās, from Latin profundus, deep; see profound. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Well, I like to juxtapose that with the gaga-profundity from the Matrix, where the little Buddha-nature kid bending the spoons with mind power says to Neo, "There is no spoon.”
“To a person with a more objective stance, of course, the profundity is easily recognized.”
“Another source of spurious profundity is DeLillo's constant allusions to momentous feelings and portents — allusions that are either left hanging in the air or are conveniently cut short by a narrative pretext.”
“Davidson’s lovers are dysfunctional and quirky, qualities that can look a bit like profundity from a distance, but they don’t have emotional or imaginative depth or range, which at the end of the day are the only things that can make a love story deep and wide-ranging.”
“And five minutes (the ending, really) of banging the audience over the head with said 'profundity' is, at best, lame and does not excuse the fact The Hurt Locker's action 'procedurals' are inaccurate.”
“What do you get when you combine Josh Groban's multi-platinum vocals with the "profundity" of Kanye West's Twitter feed?”
“When huge corporations for which entertainment is only one slice of the pie chart at the annual meeting are deciding what's at the multiplex, a little part of the glorious medium of film and its capacity to deliver profundity, meaning and pure fun dies a horrible death.”
“originality" and "profundity" -- since he is unable to cite a single passage in which I ever used such expressions of myself -- was probably suggested to him by the "Press Notices of 'Scientific Theism,'" printed as a publishers 'advertisement of my former book at the end of the book which lay before him.”
“With Coward, with the age of the entertainer, artifice became another aspect of the world, became, in many respects, the world: de-luxe gossip, journalistic "profundity," scandal.”
“It is this mental profundity which is the main thing to remember about the Duke of Devonshire.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘profundity’.
I've noticed many, many words start with PRO and this is just a collection of them.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
Words found in the works of Ezra Pound
My list of words.
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
mostly from magoosh
Looking for tweets for profundity.