from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Quickness, accuracy, and keenness of judgment or insight.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. quickness of perception or discernment; penetration of mind; the faculty of nice discrimination
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Quickness of perception or discernment; penetration of mind; the faculty of nice discrimination.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Quickness of perception; the faculty of nice discrimination; mental acuteness or penetration; keenness of insight.
- n. In botany, a tapering point. Synonyms Penetration, discernment, acuteness, sharpness, perspicacity, insight.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shrewdness shown by keen insight
- n. a tapering point
Latin acūmen, from acuere, to sharpen, from acus, needle; see ak- in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin acūmen ("sharp point"). (Wiktionary)