American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Quickness, accuracy, and keenness of judgment or insight.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Quickness of perception; the faculty of nice discrimination; mental acuteness or penetration; keenness of insight.
- n. In botany, a tapering point. Synonyms Penetration, discernment, acuteness, sharpness, perspicacity, insight.
- n. quickness of perception or discernment; penetration of mind; the faculty of nice discrimination
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Quickness of perception or discernment; penetration of mind; the faculty of nice discrimination.
- n. shrewdness shown by keen insight
- n. a tapering point
- From Latin acūmen ("sharp point"). (Wiktionary)
- Latin acūmen, from acuere, to sharpen, from acus, needle; see ak- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“This specimen of legal acumen is front and center in the Cartel ` s jihad, having appeared for Viacom when it sued YouTube, for the RIAA against Jammie Thomas, single mother.”
“As before, Cole's military acumen is almost flawless, except for one hard-to-believe casualty that Cole's demonstrated savvy seems sure to have avoided.”
“That business acumen is particularly important these days as Volcom has been hit hard by the drop in consumer spending.”
“Their acumen is also a testament to the kind of player Britt could be in the NFL.”
“But the overlap between love of books and native business acumen is fairly narrow.”
“Your political acumen is matched only by your apparently burgeoning music critic career ….”
“Monkey: Your scientific acumen is clearly lacking.”
“If offensive acumen is measured in first downs, the game was among the most one-sided in the history of both franchises.”
“Ambassador Tony Garza married to Maria Asunción Aramburuzabala, who has holdings in Grupo Modelo and Televisa and whose management acumen is well-recognized.”
“Harper, and those around him, don't care whether their picture is in the paper, or whether they get recognized at the hotspots in the Market, or whether their political acumen translates into household name status a la Warren Kinsella.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acumen’.
Building a list for standardized test prep or just for learning some new words! Please add any words that you feel are important for the SAT/GRE/GMAT etc...
Collected from reading
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
List of most of the words I've learned
Collection of GRE words
Looking for tweets for acumen.