American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Acuteness of vision or perception; keenness.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Sharpness; acuteness.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Sharpness or acuteness, as of a needle, wit, etc.
- n. a quick and penetrating intelligence
- n. sharpness of vision; the visual ability to resolve fine detail (usually measured by a Snellen chart)
- From Middle French acuité, from Medieval Latin acuitas, irreg., from Latin acuō ("sharpen"). (Wiktionary)
- Middle English acuite, from Old French, ultimately from Latin acūtus, sharp; see acute. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“AGENT ORANGE, annoyed: Your visual acuity is uncanny.”
“Terry Pratchett, who has early-onset Alzheimer's (and whose mental acuity is still fine) has written a stirring editorial on the need to legalize suicide in the UK.”
“She just turned 90, and her mental acuity is better than most people half her age.”
“This favorable assessment of Marcos 'mental acuity is shared by foreign observers, Alexander Cockburn, the acerbic English Marxist who writes a column for The Nation, rarely has anything but disdain for the intellect of other writers.”
“This has left much of the training of journalists to the junior colleges, which re the least qualified in acuity and course standards.”
“Schumer’s political acuity is increasingly guiding Senate Democrats.”
“If he's forgotten, well, (to be polite and non-diagnostic) it's fair to question whether he's losing mental acuity, which is more sad than anything else.”
“Usually, if you're 2,200 in visual acuity, that is considered legally blind.”
“But sleeplessness robbed me of the last 5-10 per cent of my mental acuity, which is where I find the motivation to actually accomplish things.”
“The test, called fixation preference test (FPT), is used to evaluate visual acuity, which is the ability of the eyes to focus images on the macula, the part of the eye that handles detailed vision.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘acuity’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
What Abt these ... :)
words I read but don't know
Looking for tweets for acuity.