from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pushing or goading toward action.
- n. An activity causing excitement or pleasure.
- n. Any action or condition that creates a response; sensory input.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of stimulating, or the state of being stimulated.
- n. The irritating action of various agents (stimuli) on muscles, nerves, or a sensory end organ, by which activity is evoked; especially, the nervous impulse produced by various agents on nerves, or a sensory end organ, by which the part connected with the nerve is thrown into a state of activity; irritation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of stimulating, or the state of being stimulated; urging; encouragement; incitement; increased or quickened action or activity.
- n. In medicine, the act or method of stimulating; the condition of being stimulated; the effect of the use of stimulants.
- n. Synonyms See stimulate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any stimulating information or event; acts to arouse action
- n. the act of arousing an organism to action
- n. mutual sexual fondling prior to sexual intercourse
- n. (physiology) the effect of a stimulus (on nerves or organs etc.)
From Latin stimulātiō. (Wiktionary)