Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of stimulating, or the state of being stimulated; urging; encouragement; incitement; increased or quickened action or activity.
- n. In medicine, the act or method of stimulating; the condition of being stimulated; the effect of the use of stimulants.
- n. Synonyms See stimulate.
- n. A pushing or goading toward action.
- n. An activity causing excitement or pleasure.
- n. biology Any action or condition that creates a response; sensory input.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The act of stimulating, or the state of being stimulated.
- n. (Physiol.) The irritating action of various agents (stimuli) on muscles, nerves, or a sensory end organ, by which activity is evoked; especially, the nervous impulse produced by various agents on nerves, or a sensory end organ, by which the part connected with the nerve is thrown into a state of activity; irritation.
- n. any stimulating information or event; acts to arouse action
- n. the act of arousing an organism to action
- n. mutual sexual fondling prior to sexual intercourse
- n. (physiology) the effect of a stimulus (on nerves or organs etc.)
- From Latin stimulātiō. (Wiktionary)
“The danger in stimulation is a return of inflation.”
“These findings have led some practitioners to recommend a procedure called ear stapling, in which staples are surgically placed in the ears to provide long-term stimulation of acupressure points.”
“I'm ashamed to admit that my hunger to raise wonderful children has dwindled as well--all I am left with is a compulsion to satiate myself with material goods, comfort food, and short-term stimulation.”
“Doesn't matter whether you're trying to listen to someone else, or pay attention to your own thoughts ... the intense audio stimulation is overwhelming.”
“No decrease in stimulation, but a possible decrease (or increase) in government spending in 2015.”
“It provides brain stimulation during the crucial time when his or her brain is developing.”
“Using regulation as a significant point for economic stimulation is hilarious.”
“Some research suggests that the constant short-term stimulation of flitting to and fro among digital promptings can impede long-term memory on which important forms of intelligence depend.”
“Study shows deep brain stimulation may have benefi ...”
“But I think the single biggest difference is I'm talking about an investment that provides short-term stimulation and builds out a long - term green infrastructure that we need anyway.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘stimulation’.
ruptured blood ve..., clot, pressure on a blo..., tumor, brain region, comprehension of ..., production of mea..., autonomic nervous..., conservation of t..., catecholamine, arousal, regulation of sleep and 564 more...
I love words, especially the ones I make up with my friends.
A collection of words about doing the nasty.
Mind or Mind Altering
( _mark, personal list, randomness )
words describing the sexual parts of life
Looking for tweets for stimulation.