from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Difficult, incomplete, or infrequent evacuation of dry hardened feces from the bowels.
- n. Obstruction; stultification.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Act of crowding anything into a lesser compass, or the state of being crowded or pressed together; condensation.
- n. A state of the bowels in which the evacuations are infrequent and difficult, or the intestines become filled with hardened faeces; costiveness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Act of crowding anything into a less compass, or the state of being crowded or pressed together; condensation.
- n. A state of the bowels in which the evacuations are infrequent and difficult, or the intestines become filled with hardened fæces; costiveness.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of crowding anything into a smaller compass; a cramming or stuffing; condensation.
- n. In medicine, a state of the bowels in which, on account of diminished intestinal action or secretion, the evacuations are obstructed or stopped, and the feces are hard and expelled with difficulty; costiveness.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of making something futile and useless (as by routine)
- n. irregular and infrequent or difficult evacuation of the bowels; can be a symptom of intestinal obstruction or diverticulitis
From Latin constipatio. (Wiktionary)