from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Expulsion of breath in speech.
- n. Linguistics The pronunciation of a consonant with an aspirate.
- n. Linguistics A speech sound produced with an aspirate.
- n. The act of breathing in; inhalation.
- n. Medicine The process of removing fluids or gases from the body with a suction device.
- n. A strong desire for high achievement.
- n. An object of such desire; an ambition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The act of aspiring or ardently desiring; an ardent wish or desire, chiefly after what is elevated or spiritual (with common adjunct adpositions being to or of)
- n. The action of aspirating.
- n. A burst of air that follows the release of some consonants.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of aspirating; the pronunciation of a letter with a full or strong emission of breath; an aspirated sound.
- n. The act of breathing; a breath; an inspiration.
- n. The act of aspiring of a ardently desiring; strong wish; high desire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of aspirating or breathing; a breath.
- n. An aspirated sound; a phonetic breathing.
- n. The act of aspiring or ardently desiring; an ardent wish or desire, chiefly after what is elevated or spiritual.
- n. Aid; inspiration; countenance.
- n. The act of removing a fluid, as pus or serum, from some cavity of the body, by means of a hollow needle or trocar connected with a suction-syringe.
- n. Suction; the act or process of drawing air through (by some method of exhaustion), as opposed to the act or process of forcing it through—that is, to a blast.
- n. Synonyms Longing, yearning.
- n. The staccato mark (which see, under staccato).
- n. The drawing forward, in flight, against the direction of motion of a wind-current. See the extract.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a will to succeed
- n. a cherished desire
- n. a manner of articulation involving an audible release of breath
- n. the act of inhaling; the drawing in of air (or other gases) as in breathing
aspire + -ation (Wiktionary)
aspirate + -ion (Wiktionary)