from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to an alveolus.
- adj. Anatomy Relating to the jaw section containing the tooth sockets: the alveolar ridge.
- adj. Anatomy Relating to the alveoli of the lungs.
- adj. Linguistics Formed with the tip of the tongue touching or near the inner ridge of the gums of the upper front teeth, as the English (t), (d), and (s).
- n. Linguistics An alveolar sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of, or relating to an alveolus
- adj. Relating to the jaw ridge containing the tooth sockets
- adj. Relating to the alveoli (small air sacs) of the lungs
- adj. Formed with the tip of the tongue touching the inner ridge of the gums of the upper front teeth
- n. An alveolar consonant
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of, pertaining to, or resembling, alveoli or little cells, sacs, or sockets.
- adj. Articulated with the tip of the tongue pressing against the alveolar processes of the upper front teeth.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Containing or pertaining to a socket, cell, or pit. An equivalent form is alveolary.
- Superior, a branch of the internal maxillary artery supplying the teeth of the upper jaw and adjacent structures.
- n. In phonetics, formed or articulated by bringing the tip of the tongue into contact with the alveolar point of the upper front teeth, as the consonants t, d, n, l.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. pertaining to the tiny air sacs of the lungs
- n. a consonant articulated with the tip of the tongue near the gum ridge
- adj. pertaining to the sockets of the teeth or that part of the upper jaw
Sorry, no etymologies found.