from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of or relating to a velum.
- adj. Concerning or using the soft palate.
- adj. Articulated with the back of the tongue touching or near the soft palate, as (g) in good and (k) in king.
- n. A velar consonant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Articulated at the velum or soft palate.
- adj. Referring to a veil.
- n. a sound articulated at the soft palate
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a velum; esp. (Anat.) of or pertaining to the soft palate.
- adj. Having the place of articulation on the soft palate; guttural.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of or pertaining to a veil or velum; forming or formed into a velum; specifically, in philology, noting certain sounds, as those represented by the letters gw, kw, qu, produced by the aid of the veil of the palate, or soft palate.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to the velum
- n. a consonant produced with the back of the tongue touching or near the soft palate
- adj. produced with the back of the tongue touching or near the soft palate (as `k' in `cat' and `g' in `gun' and `ng' in `sing')
From Latin velaris. (Wiktionary)