from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See phalanx.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One of the bones of the finger or toe, also called phalanx.
- n. A political movement, the Falange.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy and zoology, a phalanx of a digit.
- n. In entomology, any one of the joints of an insect's tarsus: generally used collectively of all the joints, exclusive or not of the metatarsus: as, the anterior phalanges.
- n. In botany, a bundle of stamens joined more or less by their filaments: as, the phalanges of stamens in a diadelphous or polyadelphous flower.
- n. Same as phalangiid.
French, from Old French, body of infantrymen, from Latin, from Greek phalanx, phalang-, log, battle array, bone between the finger and toe joints; see phalanx.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)