American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One, such as a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.
- n. A person whose work shows exceptional creative ability or skill: You are an artist in the kitchen.
- n. One, such as an actor or singer, who works in the performing arts.
- n. One who is adept at an activity, especially one involving trickery or deceit: a con artist.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person of especial skill or ability in any field; one who is highly accomplished; especially, one versed in the liberal arts.
- n. One skilled in a trade; one who is master of a manual art; a good workman in any trade: as, a tonsorial artist.
- n. One who practises any one, or any branch, of the fine arts; specifically, a painter or a sculptor.
- n. A member of one of the histrionic professions, as an actor, a tenor, or a dancer.
- n. In universities, a student in the faculty of arts.
- n. One who practises artifice; a trickster.
- n. A person who creates art.
- n. A person who creates art as an occupation.
- n. A person who is skilled at some activity.
- adj. archaic Artistic.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. obsolete One who practices some mechanic art or craft; an artisan.
- n. One who professes and practices an art in which science and taste preside over the manual execution.
- n. One who shows trained skill or rare taste in any manual art or occupation.
- n. obsolete An artful person; a schemer.
- n. a person whose creative work shows sensitivity and imagination
- From French artiste, from Italian artista, from late Latin artista, from ars ("art"). (Wiktionary)
- French artiste, from Old French, lettered person, from Medieval Latin artista, from Latin ars, art-, art; see ar- in Indo-European roots. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“You can select from two other preset expressions, or input your own variation such as \$artist - $album\, or any combination of the variables $artist, $album, and $ignore.”
“Not only can TagScanner clean up the artist, album, song title, and track number information for your digital music files, it can rename your songs based on a pattern you define like %artist% - %title%, it can make music playlists, and search online databases like freedb and Amazon to automatically tag music missing information.”
“Woman or artist -- there's no word so naked and empty to me as just _artist_ ---- ”
“I will use her term "artist and muse," which they each were for each other.”
“Some people probably object to me using the term artist about such a lowly profession.”
“The main artist is Karl Kerschl, whose style leans away from what Douglas Wolk calls the "default style of the superhero mainstream" toward a half-cartoony look.”
“I think the word artist is overused in the entertainment community.”
“The word artist tends to be over-used when describing popular musicians, but it seems apt for Polly Jean Harvey, such is her creative ambition and fierce focus on the integrity of her work.”
“HATAIIA, Features the title artist's bold photographs of curvaceous women in the nude.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘artist’.
Nouns to be used as descriptions while writing stories
Words to describe art of the Romantic Era
as a youth I, and some others, made a pen-and-paper RPG, based in contemporary crime and suspense fiction + nonfiction, set in America's blighted urban centers, anonymous slurbs, and godforsaken hi...
nouns for good people / words that describe good people.
go to the bad people list
( people, character, descriptor, noun )
single words to be used in quotations more frequently than not.
( randomness )
species, sex, age bracket, occupation, hobby .. etc.
A jumble of words, sometimes contradictory, that add up to me. I'll probably be adding to this list for some time, because I'm a very complex individual. ;P
Very basic words for ESL students.
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Looking for tweets for artist.