American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A skilled public performer or entertainer, especially a singer or dancer.
- n. A person with artistic pretensions.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is peculiarly dexterous or skilful in the practice of some art not one of the fine arts; one who makes an art of his employment, as a dancer, a hair-dresser, or a cook: same as artist, 2 and 4.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One peculiarly dexterous and tasteful in almost any employment, as an opera dancer, a hairdresser, a cook.
- n. a public performer (a dancer or singer)
- Borrowed from French. (Wiktionary)
- French; see artist. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“It could not be that the grand role of the artiste is a desperately self-delusional shell around the soft and gooey centre of a very small and weak ego, all too easily hurt by even the mildest and most unconcerned critique.”
“The mystery artiste is all albums really and it is a staggering number with 45o Gold and Platigbnum discs around the world.”
“The word artiste was used, I said, only in dialogue, and only by one person, who was a bit of a poseur.”
“He and Paul McGuinness are the two people around us who are the most intolerant of what we might call the artiste, which is to say they're suspicious of art. [laughs] But that's all about control.”
“I now realize why I am not an "artiste" - I have no talent whatsoever.”
“Well-known Jamaican entertainment journalist, Kevin Jackson, has confirmed in an exclusive interview with Academy Award winning actor Jamie Foxx, that the artiste is not slated to portray reggae legend Bob Marley in an upcoming film documenting the singer’s younger years ... ...”
“The film avoided the usual pitfalls of bio-pics where the artiste is a misunderstood genius.”
“India Ltd and cannot be termed artiste for his role in the show.”
“Having said that I have no doubt that Hadise the artiste is a very accomplished singer and will really turn it on when the contest is held in Moscow.”
“Sreeja won the best dubbing artiste award for lending voice to”
Looking for tweets for artiste.