from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A painter or writer belonging to or influenced by the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, a society founded in England in 1848 to advance the style and spirit of Italian painting before Raphael.
- adj. Of, relating to, or characteristic of the Pre-Raphaelites.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Alternative spelling of preraphaelite.
- n. Alternative spelling of preraphaelite.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to the style called preraphaelitism
- n. One who favors or practices art as it was before Raphael; one who favors or advocates preraphaelitism.
- n. Popularly, any modern artist thought to be a would-be restorer of early ideas or methods, as one of the German painters often called Nazarenes, or one who paints and draws with extreme minuteness of detail.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Pertaining to or characteristic of Preraphaelitism: as, Preraphaelite theories; the Preraphaelite school of painting.
- n. One who practises or favors Preraphaelitism in art or poetry.
- Said of painting done according to the methods or style of the Preraphaelite Brotherhood.
- n. A member of the Preraphaelite Brotherhood.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. of or relating to or characteristic of the Pre-Raphaelites
- n. a painter or writer dedicated to restoring early Renaissance ideals
Sorry, no etymologies found.