American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One that peels, especially a kitchen implement for peeling the rinds or skins from fruits or vegetables.
- n. One that can be readily peeled, especially a crab that is about to molt.
- n. Slang A stripteaser.
- n. Chiefly British A police officer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who peels, strips, or flays.
- n. A crab or lobster in the act of casting its shell; a shedder.
- n. A stout iron bar of considerable length, having one end flattened into a broader surface, somewhat after the manner of a slice-bar, and the other end formed into a loop or handle, used by a workman called a “baller” in placing charges of piles, billets, blooms, ingots, etc., of iron or steel in a reheating-furnace preparatory to hammering.
- n. A “ripper”; a very energetic person.
- n. A plunderer; a pillager.
- n. A policeman: so called form the English statesman Sir Robert Peel (1788-1850), who while secretary for Ireland (1812–18) established a regular force of Irish police, and while home secretary (1828–30) improved the police system of London.
- n. UK, slang, dated A police officer.
- n. A person whose job it is to peel fruit or vegetable produce.
- n. A utensil for peeling fruit or vegetables.
- n. pejorative, slang A woman (or less commonly a man) who removes her clothing for entertainment. A stripper.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who peels or strips.
- n. A pillager.
- n. British Slang A nickname for a policeman; -- so called from Sir Robert Peel.
- n. a worker who peels the skins from fruits and vegetables
- n. a performer who provides erotic entertainment by undressing to music
- n. a device for peeling vegetables or fruits
- From peel + -er. (Wiktionary)
- After Sir Robert Peel. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“MacDermott had fallen in love with a girl who had preferred to marry a peeler ... _a peeler_, mind you! ... they would split their sides laughing.”
“Thanks for the up date. xxx And by the way I think that getting up and going to work every day knowing that people might try to kill you just for being a peeler is actually quite heroic. xxx”
“And by the way I think that getting up and going to work every day knowing that people might try to kill you just for being a peeler is actually quite heroic. on March 15, 2009 at 9: 26 pm | Reply Von Spreuth xxx TB”
“I received the Kuhn Rikon version of this soft skin peeler as a gift and was skeptical at first, but it is now one of my favorite gadgets in the kitchen.”
“To top it off, she even provides instructions on how to make your own asparagus peeler from a thin bladed knife and a 15 length of 16 gauge wire - in case you don't want to spend for a commercial one.”
“As I have mentioned before in these pages my $5.95 Messermeister serrated peeler is a marvel.”
“Autocutter with receipt version and label peeler with label version”
“He tells also of an elderly off-duty cop -- a "peeler" -- having a drink in a bar, seeing his IRA killers approach and pleading: "Ah, no, boys, not me ...”
“(Episode 43, where Warren chases that Bam! guy around the kitchen screaming, with a peeler, is sure to be an instant classic.”
“Mind you I don’t think Sinj Majeep would try it here though as every peeler is armed and can hit any stationary target at emm 5-10 yds!! on July 1, 2007 at 8: 23 pm | Reply Anon”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘peeler’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words relating to getting naked, being naked, the commonly naked, nakedness (partial or complete), and similar.
As I got rolling on this, discovered this list, by Trivet.
Words from the works of Peter Reading - at least one from each (except the Schwitters-esque erosions, cut-ups etc).
Okay, mostly on Wordie. But it's more fun here anyway.
Words that have only one of the vowels. On this list I include only words with at least three vowels. When I first started the list, if a word had several forms, I generally listed only the one wit...
Words from The Ginger Man.
Ok, I'm changing this one to an in-between list for Conversations and Chit Chat. We just have too much fun. :)
Looking for tweets for peeler.