from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A long metal or wooden pin used to secure or suspend food during cooking; a spit.
- n. Any of various picks or rods having a function or shape similar to a skewer.
- transitive v. To hold together or pierce with or as if with a skewer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A long pin, normally made of metal or wood, used to secure food during cooking.
- n. A scenario in which a piece attacks a more valuable piece which, if it moves aside, reveals a less valuable piece. Compare pin.W
- v. To impale on a skewer.
- v. To attack a piece which has a less valuable piece behind it.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pin of wood or metal for fastening meat to a spit, or for keeping it in form while roasting.
- transitive v. To fasten with skewers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To fasten with skewers; pierce or transfix, as with a skewer.
- Specifically See the extract.
- n. A pin of wood or iron for fastening meat to a spit or for keeping it in form while roasting.
- n. A bobbin-spindle fixed by its blunt end into a shelf or bar in the creel.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a long pin for holding meat in position while it is being roasted
- v. drive a skewer through
This skewer is stacked with three types of sausages, one of which was meat wrapped around a rice cake and fried.
Once the skewer is in, it should be easy to give the pancake a quick turn.
The lower skewer is some sort of fish paste mixed with vegetables and fried, while top the top skewer has the same mixture wrapped around a hot dog.
Bake for 60 minutes or until a thin skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Set on a rack, and while it is still warm, poke it all over with a thin skewer, and pour the thinned rose preserve over all, to let it sink in.
You do this by removing the coverings, sticking a thin skewer into the pudding in a few strategic spots, and pouring a bit of port over.
Around the world, grilled meat on a skewer is the ultimate bonding dish, the object of envy and the subject of mockery, the source of bitter disputes between friends and rivals, and the meal of celebrations.
Resting in the valleys of the waves created by running the beef along the skewer were the scallion and mushrooms.
Skewer: A skewer occurs when a piece attacks a valuable piece in order to force it to move, and thus capture a piece located behind.
i LOVE kebabs, but i must admit that i was oblivious about them for the longest time. yes, i was one of those goobers who thought anything on a skewer was a kebab. i finally went to an authentic turkish restaurant and got my facts straight. anyway, i appreciate your nice summary and awesome recipe!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.