from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See starter.
- n. One who displays an unusual amount of initiative.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who shows initiative and resourcefulness.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mechanism (usually one operated by electricity, compressed air, a spring, or an explosive gas), attached to an internal-combustion engine, as on an automobile, and used as a means of starting the engine without cranking it by hand; -- called also a starter.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an energetic person with unusual initiative
- n. an electric starting motor that automatically starts an internal-combustion engine
self- + starter (Wiktionary)