from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A hanging lamp that can be lowered and raised on its cord.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative spelling of drop light.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An electric or gas light suspended from the ceiling by a flexible cord or tube, allowing artificial light to be brought down from a chandelier nearer to a table or desk; a pendant; also, an electric light bulb in a small holder, which can be held in the hand or hung from a hook, and attached to a long electric cord, allowing light to be brought close to work in dark areas of a room.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A portable gas-burn-er, generally in the form of a lamp, connected with a chandelier or other gas-fixture by a metallic or flexible tube.
- n. An electric lamp, analogous to a gas drop-light, for table use.
- n. A coach-window that can be dropped in grooves in the framework of the coach, so as to be out of sight.
From drop + light. (Wiktionary)