from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A grid or pattern placed in the eyepiece of an optical instrument, used to establish scale or position.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A grid, network, or crosshatch found in the eyepiece of various optical instruments to aid measurement or alignment
  • n. A small net

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A small net.
  • n. A reticule. See Reticule, 2.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as reticule, 2.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a network of fine lines, dots, cross hairs, or wires in the focal plane of the eyepiece of an optical instrument


Latin rēticulum, diminutive of rēte, net.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin reticulum, diminutive of Latin rete ("net"). (Wiktionary)


Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.