from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that makes loops.
- n. See measuring worm.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An instrument or tool, as a bodkin, for forming a loop in yarn or cord, etc.
- n. An inchworm or measuring worm.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An instrument, as a bodkin, for forming a loop in yarn, a cord, etc.
- n. The larva of any species of geometrid moths. See Geometrid.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In entomology, a measuring-worm; a geometrid larva: same as geometer, 3.
- n. Hence plural The adult geometrid moths, Geometridæ or Geometrina. Also called measure-moths and land-measurers.
- n. An implement used in uniting the ends of strips cut from rags for the woof or filling of rag carpets.
- n. In the plural, buck-shot of large size.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small hairless caterpillar having legs on only its front and rear segments; mostly larvae of moths of the family Geometridae
Sorry, no etymologies found.