from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Something which retards or slows.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, retards.
- n. Any of various devices, as a helix of flat metal strip, introduced into a boiler tube to increase the heating effect of the fire.
- n. A substance, as potassium bromide, added to a developer to retard its action.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who retards; that which serves as a hindrance, impediment, or cause of retardation.
- n. An obstruction, usually in the form of a twisted piece of sheet-metal, placed in a boiler-flue to retard the hot gases and make them give up their heat to the water in the boiler.
- n. A device, such as a dash-pot, for checking the too rapid motion of any mechanism.
Sorry, no etymologies found.