from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who gives expert or professional advice.
- n. One who consults another.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a person or party that is consulted.
- n. a person whose occupation is to be consulted for their expertise, advice, or help in an area or specialty. Alternatively, a party whose business is to be similarly consulted.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an expert who gives advice.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A physician who is called in by the attending physician to give counsel in a case.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an expert who gives advice
From French consultant, present participle of consulter, from Latin consultare ("to deliberate, consult"), frequentative of consulere ("to consult, deliberate, consider, reflect upon, ask advice"), from com- ("together") + -sulere, of uncertain origin. (Wiktionary)