from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who is actively involved in politics, especially party politics.
- n. One who holds or seeks a political office.
- n. One who seeks personal or partisan gain, often by scheming and maneuvering: "Mothers may still want their favorite sons to grow up to be President, but . . . they do not want them to become politicians in the process” ( John F. Kennedy).
- n. One who is skilled or experienced in the science or administration of government.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One engaged in politics, especially an elected or appointed government official.
- n. Specifically, one who regards elected political office as a career.
- n. A politically active or interested person.
- n. A sly or ingratiating person.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One versed or experienced in the science of government; one devoted to politics; a statesman.
- n. One primarily devoted to his own advancement in public office, or to the success of a political party; -- used in a depreciatory sense; one addicted or attached to politics as managed by parties (see Politics, 2); a schemer; an intriguer.
- adj. Cunning; using artifice; politic; artful.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who is versed in the science of government and the art of governing; one who is skilled in politics.
- n. One who occupies himself with polities; one who devotes himself to public affairs or to the promotion of the interests of a political party; one who is practically interested in politics; in a bad sense, one who concerns himself with public affairs not from patriotism or public spirit, but for his own profit or that of his friends, or of a clique or party.
- n. A politic or crafty person; a petty and generally an unscrupulous schemer; a trickster.
- Politic; using artifice.
- Of or pertaining to politicians or their methods.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a schemer who tries to gain advantage in an organization in sly or underhanded ways
- n. a person active in party politics
- n. a leader engaged in civil administration
politic + -ian (Wiktionary)