from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of a board of town officers chosen annually in New England communities to manage local affairs.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. any of a board of municipal officers elected to manage some New England towns
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of a board of town officers chosen annually in the New England States to transact the general public business of the town, and have a kind of executive authority. The number is usually from three to seven in each town.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In New England towns, one of a board of officers chosen annually to manage various local concerns.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an elected member of a board of officials who run New England towns
Sorry, no etymologies found.