from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The principal magistrate, comparable to a mayor, of a city or town in the Netherlands, Flanders, Austria, or Germany.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The mayor, or head magistrate, of a town in The Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and certain other countries.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A chief magistrate of a municipal town in Holland, Flanders, and Germany, corresponding to mayor in England and the United States; a burghmaster.
- n. An aquatic bird, the glaucous gull (Larus glaucus), common in arctic regions.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A borough-master; the chief magistrate of a municipal town in the Netherlands, Germany, and other Tcutonic countries, nearly corresponding to mayor in England and the United States.
- n. The great ice-gull or glaucous gull, Larus glaucus, of the arctic regions, one of the largest and most powerful species of the family Laridœ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mayor of a municipality in Germany or Holland or Flanders or Austria
Partial translation of Dutch burgemeester : burg, town (from Middle Dutch burch; see bhergh-2 in Indo-European roots) + meester, master.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)