from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The head of government of a city, town, borough, or municipal corporation.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The leader of a city, or a municipality, sometimes just a figurehead and sometimes a powerful position. In some countries, the mayor is elected by the citizens or by the city council.
- n. The steward of some royal courts, particularly in early Medieval France
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The chief magistrate of a city or borough; the chief administrative officer of a municipal corporation. In some American cities there is a city court of which the major is chief judge. The post is usually elective, its holder chosen by the electorate of the entire city.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The principal officer of a municipality; the chief magistrate of a city or borough.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the head of a city government
Robert "Bob" Noyce, the father of the microchip who co-founded Fairchild Semiconductor and Intel and earned the moniker "mayor of Silicon Valley."
As the mayor is about to stake Stefan, Damon attacks him.
Maybe the mayor is an idiot, but on this one at least he's less of an idiot than 8 of the councilmembers.
According to Tom Kington's enjoyable report in today's Guardian, the mayor is also threatening to fine blokes who walk around bare-chested, swear in the street, lie about on benches, walk dogs on leashes longer than two metres or play football between 10pm and 6am.
But deputy mayor John Burden, 62 — in charge while the mayor is away — has now banned them.
Quite frankly, when it comes to dealing with the media, the mayor is his own worst enemy.
We have miles of bike paths and our mayor is an avid cyclist.
Let's face it -- the mayor is a puppet of Jerry Green who is a puppet of Charlotte Defillipo.
Sure, this mayor is a pissant and the cop a willing stooge, but this is a story being played out all across the New and Improved AmeriCo, where the police are merely the security guards for those with power. mjh
So now, finally, the mayor is apparently planning to order first mandatory evacuation in city history tomorrow morning.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.