from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who assays, or performs chemical tests on metals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who assays. Specifically: One who examines metallic ores or compounds, for the purpose of determining the amount of any particular metal in the same, especially of gold or silver.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who tries, tests, or attempts.
- n. One who assays metals; one who examines metallic ores or alloys for the purpose of determining the quantity of any particular metal, particularly of gold or silver, present in them. Specifically
- n. An officer of the mint, whose duty is to test bullion and coin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an analyst who assays (performs chemical tests on) metals
to assay + -er (Wiktionary)