American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. One who claims to be able to foretell events or predict the future; a seer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who tells the truth; a truthful person.
- n. One who prognosticates: a diviner: generally used of a pretender to prophetic powers.
- n. A mantis or rearhorse. See cut under Mantidæ. Also called camel-cricket, praying-mantis, devil's horse, devil's race-horse, etc. Synonyms Seer, etc. See
- n. obsolete One who tells the truth; a truthful person.
- n. One who predicts the future, using magic, intuition or intelligence; a diviner.
- n. A mantis or rearhorse.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who foretells events by the art of soothsaying; a prognosticator.
- n. (Zoöl.) A mantis.
- n. someone who makes predictions of the future (usually on the basis of special knowledge)
- From Middle English sothsaier, zothziggere, equivalent to sooth + sayer. (Wiktionary)
“So Thebes becomes Themes, Zeus becomes Sooth (as in soothsayer) and Semele becomes Simile.”
“Upon this, Amarar called his soothsayer, and required him to name a propitious moment for the sally.”
“The interpreter translated this for Mesullam, but the soothsayer was all the while in the same suspicious and crabbed mood.”
“Queen and a Chaldean soothsayer, which is one of the most powerful in the opera.”
“I'm sure that el Señor Bill Gates won't agree with Mark Anderson, but his words are spot on despite being a 20th Century soothsayer aka analyst.”
“And for the brief period where Ronan told the rest of them to get stuffed, Shane went out, got tatted up, and reinvented himself as some kind of soothsayer on Celebrity Love Island.”
“I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would one day share the French word for "soothsayer" with you.”
“You're my kind of soothsayer! by W. Christopher Epler (Bill) on Sunday, Aug 12, 2007 at 9: 03: 43 PM”
“They looked at me like I was some kind of soothsayer or something.”
“Hence among heathen nations they were known as _vates, _ "on account of their power of mind (_vi mentis_)," [* The Latin _vates_ is from the Greek _phates_, and may be rendered "soothsayer"] (ibid. viii, 7).”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘soothsayer’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
Music brings silence's to raging thoughts and temperament , calm, as it is our object of definite purpose.
A list of words with definitions directing us to "see cut under" (or "see cut at") another definition (with hilarity occasionally ensuing).
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
there is going to be a lot of words...
These come from gamma meditation ,I think.
nouns for good people / words that describe good people.
go to the bad people list
( people, character, descriptor, noun )
Words that have been smashed together.
List of most of the words I've learned
My big word list.
Looking for tweets for soothsayer.