from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that brays, especially a donkey.
- n. Printing A small hand roller used to spread ink thinly and evenly.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A hand printing roller used in to spread a thin even layer of ink.
- n. One who brays, or makes the sound of a donkey.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An implement for braying and spreading ink in hand printing.
- n. One that brays like an ass.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In printing, a small composition-roller used for triturating and spreading the ink on a table or slab and daubling it on a platen or disk.
- n. One who or that which brays like an ass.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
A beechen implement, resembling somewhat our potato masher, and called the "brayer," was used to manipulate the ink as it lay on the table; an iron shovel, known as the "slicer," being used to portion out from the mass of ink such quantities as were needed from time to time for the brayer.
Or the paper she tested the ink brayer on while making the monotype?
At a minimum look for a water-based fabric ink pad or ink that you can apply to the stamp with a brayer.
May 22, 2006, 6: 32 pm mortgage brokers san diego says: mortgage brokers sandiego heightened helpless: Durango pooling brayer?
My son played with my brayer all day... and then HAD to have it for Nap time.
French, you know: Il faut le battre, le fer, le brayer, le petrir ....
It's kind of funny because Arthur is sitting straight up, but with her eyes closed. she's really cute. xo Twyla. oh yeah - holly gave me a really awesome present for my birthday - a brayer.
Panurge the calf, Panurge the whiner, Panurge the brayer, would it not become thee much better to lend us here a helping hand than to lie lowing like a cow, as thou dost, sitting on thy stones like a bald-breeched baboon?
God that made me, you might give a couple of brays odds to the best and most finished brayer in the world; the tone you have got is deep, your voice is well kept up as to time and pitch, and your finishing notes come thick and fast; in fact, I own myself beaten, and yield the palm to you, and give in to you in this rare accomplishment. '
Then Elijah clean his knife down in the earth, and when he'd finished laughin 'he put ub a brayer.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.