from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who, or that which, upholds or supports; a prop.
- n. One who, or that which, stays, stops, or restrains.
- n. An athlete, horse, etc. with staying power.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who upholds or supports that which props; one who, or that which, stays, stops, or restrains; also, colloquially, a horse, man, etc., that has endurance, as in a race.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who supports or upholds; a supporter; a backer.
- n. One who or that which stops or restrains.
- n. One who stays or remains: as, a stayer at home.
- n. One who has sufficient endurance to hold out to the end; a person or an animal of staying qualities, as in racing or any kind of contest; one who does not readily give in through weakness or lack of perseverance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a person or other animal having powers of endurance or perseverance
stay + -er (Wiktionary)