Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who supports or upholds; a supporter; a backer.
- n. One who or that which stops or restrains.
- n. One who stays or remains: as, a stayer at home.
- n. One who has sufficient endurance to hold out to the end; a person or an animal of staying qualities, as in racing or any kind of contest; one who does not readily give in through weakness or lack of perseverance.
- n. One who, or that which, upholds or supports; a prop.
- n. One who, or that which, stays, stops, or restrains.
- n. sports, informal An athlete, horse, etc. with staying power.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. One who upholds or supports that which props; one who, or that which, stays, stops, or restrains; also, colloquially, a horse, man, etc., that has endurance, as in a race.
- n. a person or other animal having powers of endurance or perseverance
- stay + -er (Wiktionary)
“The horse you want is not a pretty, dainty flyer, but a stayer, that is sure and that brings in good money, not big odds, but good money.”
“The horse YOU want is not a pretty, dainty flyer, but a stayer, that is sure and that brings in good money, not big odds, but good money.”
“Many eyed Fred hopefully; for the word had gone around that upon him Riverport must depend to wrest victory from the grasp of that tall runner, Boggs, who was said to be a tremendous "stayer," and as speedy almost as Colon himself.”
“One that allus is a "stayer" when you want to slam him through,”
“Romulus now prayed to Jupiter, and vowed to erect to him a temple as Jupiter Stator, -- that is, the "stayer," -- if he would stay the Romans in their flight.”
“In passing ... congrats to the superstar stayer Shocking, who won the Melbourne Cup today.”
“Roth, who made his debut in 1959 with a brilliant novella, Goodbye, Columbus, and hit the international headlines with Portnoy's Complaint in 1969, is nothing if not a stayer.”
“So when I say I'm a stayer-put-her I don't mean I'm a stayer-at-homer.”
“The 48-year-old Portuguese is not a stayer, and it would be no surprise to see him moving to the next phase of his career by the summer of 2013 – or sooner, if he continues to argue with influential players.”
Looking for tweets for stayer.