from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Animals, especially the animals of a particular region or period, considered as a group.
- n. A catalog of the animals of a specific region or period.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. animals considered as a group; especially those of a particular country, region, time, etc.
- n. a book, cataloguing the animals of a country etc.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The animals of any given area or epoch
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The total of the animal life of a given region or period; the sum of the animals living in a given area or time: a term corresponding to flora in respect of plants: as, the fauna of America; a fossil fauna; the recent fauna; the land and water faunæ of the globe.
- n. A treatise upon the animals of any geographical area or geological period.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. all the animal life in a particular region or period
- n. a living organism characterized by voluntary movement
Late Latin Fauna, sister of Faunus.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
New Latin, from Latin Fauna, sister of Faunus 'god of forests and herdsmen'; akin to Ancient Greek θαῦνον (thaunon, "wild animal, beast"), thýs 'jackal, wild dog; panther', Phrygian dáos 'wolf'. (Wiktionary)