American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A flesh-eating animal.
- n. Any of various predatory, flesh-eating mammals of the order Carnivora, including the dogs, cats, bears, weasels, hyenas, and raccoons.
- n. One who victimizes or injures others; a predator.
- n. An insectivorous plant.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A carnivorous animal; one of the Carnivora.
- n. Any animal that eats meat as the main part of its diet.
- n. taxonomy A mammal belonging to the order Carnivora.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) One of the Carnivora.
- n. any animal that feeds on flesh
- n. a terrestrial or aquatic flesh-eating mammal
- Ultimately from Latin carnivorus. (Wiktionary)
- From French, meat-eating, from Latin carnivorus; see carnivorous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Camera traps, said Lyren, are widely used in carnivore research because they help document the behavior and distribution of these more elusive, often-nocturnal animals … This camera trap is on the former El Toro Marine Base, an area that burned last week in the Orange County Santiago Fire.”
“New Bornean carnivore' is most likely a little known flying squirrel”
“And the thing that broke my heart wasn’t that she didn’t know the definition of the word carnivore; I could live with that.”
“For the owners of the Ivy to worry about people thinking they are just for VIPs is a little like a lion getting upset for being called a carnivore.”
“At some point, Leaellynasaura, a Lower Cretaceous hypsilophodontid from Victoria, Australia, was described as a carnivore when it, like all hypsilophodontids, is actually an herbivore.”
“St. John is known as a carnivore's paradise -- its signature dish is roast bone marrow, served with a parsley salad -- but Mr. Rowe says the restaurant's insistence on British cuisine has resulted in widespread use of local fruits and vegetables.”
“One of them is an FBI tool called carnivore which some people may have heard of.”
“This may explain why the panda diet is primarily herbivorous even though it is classified as a carnivore," says Wang.”
“Black bears are classified as a carnivore, though most of their diet consists of vegetation, fruits, nuts and roots.”
“I also became a ravenous carnivore, which is good, because protein is something to eat a lot of during chemo.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘carnivore’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words used to create the names of Pokémon, which are usually portmanteaux.
need to know these words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hecko, words! I’m so happy I’ve found you. I want to keep you all and never want to lose you again. I hope you like it here.
There's a fiction meme (mostly on Livejournal) where writers use words as a prompt for a short story snippet. I've been collecting the words that show up on these lists as prompts for creative writ...
Words that have to do with animals that live in the North East.
Looking for tweets for carnivore.