from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A flesh-eating animal.
- n. Any of various predatory, flesh-eating mammals of the order Carnivora, including the dogs, cats, bears, weasels, hyenas, and raccoons.
- n. One who victimizes or injures others; a predator.
- n. An insectivorous plant.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any animal that eats meat as the main part of its diet.
- n. A mammal belonging to the order Carnivora.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Carnivora.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A carnivorous animal; one of the Carnivora.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any animal that feeds on flesh
- n. a terrestrial or aquatic flesh-eating mammal
Camera traps, said Lyren, are widely used in carnivore research because they help document the behavior and distribution of these more elusive, often-nocturnal animals … This camera trap is on the former El Toro Marine Base, an area that burned last week in the Orange County Santiago Fire.
'New Bornean carnivore' is most likely a little known flying squirrel
And the thing that broke my heart wasn’t that she didn’t know the definition of the word carnivore; I could live with that.
For the owners of the Ivy to worry about people thinking they are just for VIPs is a little like a lion getting upset for being called a carnivore.
At some point, Leaellynasaura, a Lower Cretaceous hypsilophodontid from Victoria, Australia, was described as a carnivore when it, like all hypsilophodontids, is actually an herbivore.
St. John is known as a carnivore's paradise -- its signature dish is roast bone marrow, served with a parsley salad -- but Mr. Rowe says the restaurant's insistence on British cuisine has resulted in widespread use of local fruits and vegetables.
One of them is an FBI tool called carnivore which some people may have heard of.
"This may explain why the panda diet is primarily herbivorous even though it is classified as a carnivore," says Wang.
Black bears are classified as a carnivore, though most of their diet consists of vegetation, fruits, nuts and roots.
I also became a ravenous carnivore, which is good, because protein is something to eat a lot of during chemo.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.