from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various large aquatic reptiles, chiefly of the genus Crocodylus, native to tropical and subtropical regions and having thick, armorlike skin and long tapering jaws.
- n. A crocodilian reptile, such as an alligator, caiman, or gavial.
- n. Leather made from crocodile skin.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a variety of related predatory amphibious reptiles, related to the alligator.
- n. A long line or procession of people (especially children) walking together.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A large reptile of the genus Crocodilus, of several species. They grow to the length of sixteen or eighteen feet, and inhabit the large rivers of Africa, Asia, and America. The eggs, laid in the sand, are hatched by the sun's heat. The best known species is that of the Nile (Crocodilus vulgaris, or Crocodilus Niloticus). The Florida crocodile (Crocodilus Americanus) is much less common than the alligator and has longer jaws. The name is also sometimes applied to the species of other related genera, as the gavial and the alligator.
- n. A fallacious dilemma, mythically supposed to have been first used by a crocodile.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An animal of the order Crocodilia, and especially of the family Crocodilidæ (see these words).
- n. In logic, a sophism of counter-questioning.
- Like a crocodile, or like something pertaining to a crocodile.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large voracious aquatic reptile having a long snout with massive jaws and sharp teeth and a body covered with bony plates; of sluggish tropical waters
'Either the crocodile is a weird looking rhombifer, or the animal is some type of hybrid,' she said.
Whether this leviathan be a whale or a crocodile is a great dispute among the learned, which I will not undertake to determine; some of the particulars agree more easily to the one, others to the other; both are very strong and fierce, and the power of the Creator appears in them.
Cell phone keeps ringing in Ukrainian crocodile's tummy
The crocodile is still chasing Hook for more human flesh.
Stay tuned for more about Argentina … including recipes … Also, crocodile is yummy!
Did he spill his mint juleppe and break down in crocodile tears?
I've seen this before and it's a crocodile from a South African National Park.
For Australian wildlife guide Mark Christensen, the saltwater crocodile is the creature to avoid at all costs.
Man dies in crocodile orgy | The Courier-Mail: AMOROUS crocodiles are causing so much havoc to a Papua New Guinean coastal community that authorities have ordered a cull.
I heard that the way to kill a crocodile is to wear a really sexy bathing suit around a semi-aroused Australian man.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.