from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small, principally nocturnal mammals of the order Insectivora, characteristically feeding chiefly on insects and including the shrews, moles, and hedgehogs.
- n. An organism that feeds mainly on insects.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Insect-eating animal or plant.
- n. mammal of the now abondaned order Insectivora.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the Insectivora.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An insectivorous animal; one of the Insectivora or Insectivorœ; especially, a member of the order Insectivora.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. small insect-eating mainly nocturnal terrestrial or fossorial mammals
- n. any organism that feeds mainly on insects
New Latin Īnsectivora, order name : Latin īnsectum, insect; see insect + Latin -vora, neuter pl. of -vorus, -vorous.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)