from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A taxonomic order within the superorder Laurasiatheria — the hedgehogs, shrews, moles, solenodons etc..
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n.pl. An order of mammals which feed principally upon insects.
- n.pl. A division of the Chiroptera, including the common or insect-eating bats.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In mammalogy: An order of placental quadrupeds, comprising small mammals of the most varied forms, aspects, and habits, terrestrial and fossorial, arboreal, or natatorial, and mostly insectivorous, but in one group flying and frugivorous.
- In entomology, a group of insectivorous hymenopterous insects.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. shrews; moles; hedgehogs; tenrecs
Sorry, no etymologies found.