American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Characterized by vision or foresight.
- adj. Having the nature of fantasies or dreams; illusory.
- adj. Existing in imagination only; imaginary.
- adj. Characterized by or given to apparitions, prophecies, or revelations.
- adj. Given to daydreams or reverie; dreamy.
- adj. Not practicable or realizable; utopian: visionary schemes for getting rich.
- adj. Tending to envision things in perfect but unrealistic form; idealistic.
- n. One who is given to impractical or speculative ideas; a dreamer.
- n. One who has visions; a seer.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Apt to behold visions: of powerful and foreseeing imagination; imaginative; in a bad sense, apt to receive and act on mere fancies or whims as if they were realities; given to indulging in day-dreams, reveries, fanciful theories, or the like.
- Of or pertaining to visions; of the nature of a vision or a product of the imagination; imaginary; in a bad sense, having no real basis; not founded on fact or possibility; impracticable; impossible: as, a visionary scheme.
- Appropriate to or characterized by the appearance of visions.
- Synonyms Imaginative, romantic.
- Unreal, fancied, ideal, illusory, utopian, chimerical.
- n. One who sees visions; one who lives in the imagination.
- n. One who forms impracticable schemes; one who is given to idle and fanciful projects.
- n. Synonyms Dreamer, enthusiast.
- adj. having vision or foresight
- adj. imaginary or illusory
- adj. prophetic or revelatory
- adj. idealistic or utopian
- n. someone who has visions; a seer
- n. an impractical dreamer
- n. someone who has positive ideas about the future
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Of or pertaining to a visions or visions; characterized by, appropriate to, or favorable for, visions.
- adj. Affected by phantoms; disposed to receive impressions on the imagination; given to reverie; apt to receive, and act upon, fancies as if they were realities.
- adj. Existing in imagination only; not real; fanciful; imaginary; having no solid foundation.
- n. One whose imagination is disturbed; one who sees visions or phantoms.
- n. One whose imagination overpowers his reason and controls his judgment; an unpractical schemer; one who builds castles in the air; a daydreamer.
- adj. not practical or realizable; speculative.
- n. a person given to fanciful speculations and enthusiasms with little regard for what is actually possible
- n. a person with unusual powers of foresight
- vision + -ary (Wiktionary)
“The word visionary doesn't begin to scratch the surface.”
“DOBBS: The White House, says President Bush tonight, will announce what they call visionary proposals to deal with our illegal immigration and border security crises.”
“And the bloodbath and stabilizing stages lead to what I call the visionary stage.”
“Man, that's what I call visionary leadership. by Mike Brett - Mar 4th, 2009 @ 1: 22pm”
“Put another way, a "visionary" is a social construction produced by a host of different and overlapping effects.”
“And the possible firing of a director -- who has been called visionary by more than a few -- from a musical she has worked on for nine years.”
“I could very well be wrong on that, as it all depends on who the visionary is writing and/or directing it.”
“In his public life, Steve was known as a visionary; in his private life, he cherished his family.”
“Part of the reason for this feeling is the huge void in visionary Black leadership.”
“And yet not so, for Considine believes the visionary is just the natural exalted, that shadows intimate possibilities without being cast by realities.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘visionary’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Words only (I left out the expressions) from Geza Kerenyi's EN-HU interpreters' dictionary. Most of them pose some difficulty when interpreted between HU and EN in either or both directions.
film / art visual styles, genres. technical or otherwise.
(art, style, genre, storytelling, visual, communication, technique, randomness)
A complete list of the green cards (adjectives) from the popular word game.
mostly from magoosh
Vocabulary building for my quest of GRE 2013
Read this list, and read it well. When you finish, you'll know me better than my mother. That is, unless she reads this list too.
words that describe me or that i am focusing on.
( personal list )
Looking for tweets for visionary.