from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Characterized by vision or foresight.
- adj. Having the nature of fantasies or dreams; illusory.
- adj. Existing in imagination only; imaginary.
- adj. Characterized by or given to apparitions, prophecies, or revelations.
- adj. Given to daydreams or reverie; dreamy.
- adj. Not practicable or realizable; utopian: visionary schemes for getting rich.
- adj. Tending to envision things in perfect but unrealistic form; idealistic.
- n. One who is given to impractical or speculative ideas; a dreamer.
- n. One who has visions; a seer.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. having vision or foresight
- adj. imaginary or illusory
- adj. prophetic or revelatory
- adj. idealistic or utopian
- n. someone who has visions; a seer
- n. an impractical dreamer
- n. someone who has positive ideas about the future
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a visions or visions; characterized by, appropriate to, or favorable for, visions.
- adj. Affected by phantoms; disposed to receive impressions on the imagination; given to reverie; apt to receive, and act upon, fancies as if they were realities.
- adj. Existing in imagination only; not real; fanciful; imaginary; having no solid foundation.
- n. One whose imagination is disturbed; one who sees visions or phantoms.
- n. One whose imagination overpowers his reason and controls his judgment; an unpractical schemer; one who builds castles in the air; a daydreamer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Apt to behold visions: of powerful and foreseeing imagination; imaginative; in a bad sense, apt to receive and act on mere fancies or whims as if they were realities; given to indulging in day-dreams, reveries, fanciful theories, or the like.
- Of or pertaining to visions; of the nature of a vision or a product of the imagination; imaginary; in a bad sense, having no real basis; not founded on fact or possibility; impracticable; impossible: as, a visionary scheme.
- Appropriate to or characterized by the appearance of visions.
- Synonyms Imaginative, romantic.
- Unreal, fancied, ideal, illusory, utopian, chimerical.
- n. One who sees visions; one who lives in the imagination.
- n. One who forms impracticable schemes; one who is given to idle and fanciful projects.
- n. Synonyms Dreamer, enthusiast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not practical or realizable; speculative
- n. a person given to fanciful speculations and enthusiasms with little regard for what is actually possible
- n. a person with unusual powers of foresight
vision + -ary (Wiktionary)