American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Greek Mythology One of a people described in the Odyssey who lived in a drugged, indolent state from feeding on the lotus.
- n. A lazy person devoted to pleasure and luxury.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the Lotophagi; hence, one who finds pleasure in a listless, dreamy life; a devotee of indolent pleasures; a languid voluptuary.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Class. Myth.) One who ate the fruit or leaf of the lotus, and, as a consequence, gave himself up to indolence and daydreams; one of the Lotophagi.
- n. someone indifferent to the busy world
“After one night's smoking he acquires a fascination for opium and fellow lotus-eater Maung Ba Ohn. Robinson writes, Occasionally I had met men upon whom it was good to look.”
“Being by nature a lotus-eater, I hope to avoid this fate.”
“The fabled lotus-eater wished never to leave the isle whence he had plucked it.”
“How they got home you must read in Homer: -- Mr. Tennyson -- himself, we presume, a dreamy lotus-eater, a delicious lotus-eater -- leaves them in full song.”
“About it were chairs and divans that would have satisfied a lotus-eater.”
“All this has its delightful aspect; and he who would view a lotus-eater in his paradise should watch an”
“Looking back later upon that fateful night, it seemed to Stella that she must indeed have slept the sleep of the lotus-eater, for no misgivings pierced the numb unconsciousness that held her through the still hours.”
“Foolish we may often be, yet we cannot accept this Gethsemane for a garden of the gods; the most wilful lotus-eater must perforce see the streaming tears, the stain of blood, the shadow of death.”
“It was aristocratic, enchantingly indolent, like the face of a happy lotus-eater.”
“Turning into a dark doorway, the woman switched light into an electric dome, illuminating an interior apartment transformed, by a wildly original taste in eccentric decoration, into a lounging room of such distressful uniquity that it would have bred unrest in the soul of a lotus-eater.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘lotus-eater’.
Looking for tweets for lotus-eater.