American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Having existence only in the imagination; unreal.
- adj. Mathematics Of or being the coefficient of the imaginary unit in a complex number.
- adj. Mathematics Of, involving, or being an imaginary number.
- adj. Mathematics Involving only a complex number of which the real part is zero.
- n. Mathematics An imaginary number.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Existing only in imagination or fancy; due to erroneous belief or conception; not real; baseless; fancied: opposed to actual.
- In mathematics, unreal and feigned in accordance with the theory of imaginary quantities.
- Synonyms Ideal, fanciful, fancied, visionary, unreal, shadowy, Utopian. Imaginary and imaginative are never synonymous: imaginary means existing only in the imagination; imaginative means possessed of or showing an active imagination.
- n. In algebra, an imaginary expression or quantity.
- adj. existing only in the imagination
- adj. mathematics of a number, having no real part; that part of a complex number which is a multiple of the square root of -1.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. Existing only in imagination or fancy; not real; fancied; visionary; ideal.
- n. (Alg.) An imaginary expression or quantity.
- adj. not based on fact; unreal.
- n. (mathematics) a number of the form a+bi where a and b are real numbers and i is the square root of -1
- From Latin imāginārius ("relating to images, fancied"), from imāgo. (Wiktionary)
“Because Larry’s Fundy brain is so locked by his literalism he simply thinks “imaginary numbers” are *actually imaginary* ,that is to say not real, they do not exist.”
“In fact, psychologists use the term "imaginary audience" to describe this heightened state of vigilance that is especially strong during adolescence.”
“But on the other hand, as this warmth is felt differently by different temperaments, so what we call imaginary things affect different minds.”
“I write fantasy in imaginary worlds, but my settings are historically based.”
“It wasn't so much fun imagining loosing her senses, and she refers to the imaginary loss of her eyesight and hearing as "harrowing.”
“Their interests by virtue of public statements and the work made collectively between 1961 and 1966 appear largely designed to dissolve what in theater is known as the imaginary "fourth wall" dividing audiences from artists.”
“But her reference to "these signs" -- as if placards charging individual troops with war crimes are commonplace at a "standard anti-war demonstration" -- reveals that a powerful imaginary is at work.”
“Act in imaginary circumstances in order to learn more either about the self, or about a certain culture, or about others.”
“It should be a requirement that damages be documented, not in imaginary figures but in real life dollars as to the effect that the claimed damages are to be.”
“Vacuuming and dusting and mopping up the kitchen had helped calm Alvirah, and while she was working she had put on her “thinking cap,” as she called the imaginary head covering that helped her find solutions to problems.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘imaginary’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
This is Ghost List 2 ( the kind that go 'boo!' ) :P
( open list )
( randomness, dreams, creativity )
words or phrases related to all things dreamy
My big word list.
Patterned words! Any word that alternates vowels and consonants with no consonants next to each other, and no vowels next to each other. (And a letter limit of no less than 5)
Concepts o' dem numblurs; polysemy mathematicalia.
abandon,extreme e..., abash,to humiliate, abate,to lessen, abbreviate,to sho..., abridge, abdicate,to forma..., aberration,depart..., abnormality, abet,to encourage, abhor,to hate, abide,to follow o..., abject,utterly ho... and 2228 more...
alleviate,to lighten, altercation,a qua..., amicable,friendly, ambiguous,vague, put something to ..., unclear, adaptation,A comp..., albatross,a signi..., indifferent, cordial nature, to mitigate, affinity,a natura... and 2229 more...
Words I like!
( personal list, favorite words, randomness )
2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee Round 2
Life is timshel negentropy.
Types and sets of numbers
Looking for tweets for imaginary.