from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Forming a figure.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of a definite form or figure.
- adj. Figurative; metaphorical.
- adj. Florid; figurative; involving passing discords by the freer melodic movement of one or more parts or voices in the harmony.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of a certain determinate form or shape; resembling something of a determinate figure: as, figurate stones (stones or fossils resembling shells).
- Involving a figure of speech; figurative.
- In music, characterized by the use of passing-notes; florid: opposed to simple: as, figurate counterpoint. Also figural, figurative, figured.
- To figure or represent.
Sorry, no etymologies found.